Thursday, November 01, 2012

Hurricane Sandy 2012 is another Hurricane to add to the list.

Hurricane Sandy slowly made its way to us on Sunday.  As the day went on the temperature dropped and the wind picked up.  I can attest to this because I was outside all morning for the Marine Corps Marathon.  You can read my blog post about that day here.

On Monday work was cancelled for almost everyone and the schools were closed.  Nathan had 72 hour liberty for the weekend so we headed out to do a Dunkin Donuts run in the morning.  It was nice and quiet on the roads in the morning but it was raining.  We did check the Air and Space Museum website as we thought we might be able to get out before the storm made landfall.  It was closed.  The men played games a majority of the day and we all took a nap.

On Tuesday work and school was closed again.  Nathan was happy as this was another day for him to recover.  Chris' flight was cancelled home and was going to be rescheduled for later.  We headed out into town to try to go to an afternoon movie but for some reason the movie theater was not opening until later.  We were told possibly in another hour or so.

We headed over to Five Guys for some lunch in hopes that once we were done eating the theater would be open.  We headed back over to check but they weren't opening yet.  We decided to head home to take a nap instead.

Tuesday evening we had homemade pizza for supper and then the guys headed out to the movie theater.  While they were out for three hours I did some straightening up and worked on the holiday cards.  By the time the guys got home I was ready for bed.

Wednesday morning it was back to work for everyone; at least the town/county.  I received an e-mail from mom inquiring how the house was after the storm.  We had received a total of 7 inches of rain over the day and a half and we had wind gusts of up to 60 mph.  The heater kicked in yesterday late afternoon/early evening and no sloshing was heard in the air vents.  We never lost power, not even a power flicker.  We were very happy overall.

In the afternoon I had a meeting so I worked on getting caught up in the morning.  Chris had some work to get caught up on as well.  After my meeting, Chris got an e-mail that his flight was cancelled.  A little checking and his first flight out tomorrow was on schedule but his second flight was cancelled.  Chris decided to find an alternative way to get back home.

Wednesday evening Chris had cancelled both his flights without a penalty and scheduled a rental car to drive home.  Just before supper Chris was on the road.  I sent him off with a bag of food for his trip.

This morning when Nathan got up he received a text that Chris made it home at 3am.

No comments: